Wednesday, October 12, 2005

yom kippur just isn't yom kippur without a little...

Johnny Mathis!!

yes, yes folks. Johnny Mathis (whose hits include Wonderful, Wonderful and Misty and who, according to his webiste, created the 'best-of' genre of albums) recorded a version of Kol Nidre.

For our non-jewy friends, Kol Nidre is the prayer that is sung on the night before Yom Kippur. It's sad. It's long. Did I mention that it's sad? Yom Kippur is also not complete without it. It's like a passover dinner without the gefilte fish. it's just not done.

So when Josh and I were planning our trip back to his house for Yom Kippur and I realized we'd be missing Kol Nidre I knew something had to be done.

That something was to purchase Johnny Mathis' version of Kol Nidre on iTunes.

I was also tempted to buy one of his many christmas and jewish-holiday-themed albums... but restrained myself. somehow.

it will be a wonderful, wonderful train ride.

1 comment:

J said...

I am overwhelmed with joy and a little confusion!