Thursday, September 29, 2005

Intelligent design by Paul Rudnick

This is from The New Yorker, and i thought i'd post it in installments because it's long, but it's hilarious...

Day 1:
And the Lord God said, "Let there be light," and lo, there was light. But then the Lord God said, "Wait, what if I make it a sort of rosy, sunset-at-the-beach, filtered half-light, so that everything else I design will look younger?"
"I'm loving that," said Buddha. "It's new."
"You should design a restaurant," added Allah.

Day 2:
"Today," the Lord God said, "let's do land." And lo, there was land.
"Well, it's really not just land," noted Vishnu. "You've got mountains and valleys and - is that lava?"
"it's not a single statement," said the Lord God. "I want it to say, 'Yes, this is land, but it's not afraid to ooze.'"
"It's really a backdrop, a sort of blank canvas," put in Apollo. "It's, like, minimalism, only with scale."
"But -- brown?" Buddha asked.
"Brown with infinite variations," said the Lord God. "Taupe, ochre, burnt umber - they're called earth tones."
"I wasn't criticizing," said Buddha. "I was just noticing."

3 comments:

Cupcake said...

Oh. I got Paul Rudnick confused with Paul Rudd. But for a minute there, I was really excited.

claire said...

sorry. it would be a million times better if paul rudd wrote this. he's dreamy.

Cupcake said...

It's okay. It's not your fault. He's also in every movie these days. One weekend I saw The 40-Year Old Virgin and The Baxter back-to-back. Back-to-back Paul Rudd!! Then I kept waiting for him to pop up in Junebug.