Monday, August 21, 2006

top three things you do not want to find on your carpet first thing on a monday morning:

3. barf (of the cat variety)

2. a dead mouse (of the feivel variety)

1. a barfed up dead mouse


You will all be happy to know that I awoke to numero dos this morning. When I first saw it on the carpet, I thought it was a hairball. I squinted at it, and then moved on to the bathroom. Promptly forgot about it until about five minutes later, when I looked at it again and realized that it was a baby mouse.

Thankfully, there was no blood. Because I could NOT have handled that so early in the morning.

So one of our cats is a killer. I'm going to guess it's not Obie.

4 comments:

Sheena said...

Granted, a dead mouse is not a pleasant thing to find on the carpet, but we need to put a different spin on this. One of our cats killed a mouse!!!

It was a small mouse, yes. But they killed it, thus coming close to the dream of being real cats. And, it was a clean kill (no blood, as you said), likely just a snapped neck. They didn't play with or eat it when they were done.

I, for one, am very proud. I don't want them to start placing them at my feet, but I think they could upgrade to larger mice. Gus will need this skill set, Claire. We have troublesome rodents in the country. He's got to earn his keep.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the clean kill. Princess (back in her mousing days, long since given up for her lounging-on-the-couch days) used to decapitate them and leave the body for one Mumford child, the head for the other. We appreciated her feelings of equity, but had trouble showing it. We were busy screaming.

(I vote it was Maddie who killed the mouse. She is sneaky.)

Sheena said...

Oh, Princess. Resting on her retirement laurels.

When I was a kid, we had a cat who ate the thing and then threw it up, which was charming.

I'm inclined to believe it was Mattie as well (she's demonstrated an interest in maiming and/or killing cockroaches), though I have high hopes for Gus. I think he has it in him. Maybe they tag-teamed, while Obie imitated a carpet, purring madly?

claire said...

I would like to imagine Princess killing things with the one tooth.

Yes, well the night before, as I was falling asleep, I heard some yeowling of a kind not usually heard in our apartment. Perhaps the mouse was lulled to sleep with the sweet melody and then put out if its misery quickly?