Tuesday, September 19, 2006

life after marriage

Thus ends my first week in Brooklyn sans Sheena, avec three new roomates (all of whom are pretty awesome). Things are coming together - I finally bought a new hairdryer, put away all of my books, my food, my shoes, etc.

Here's my problem with the new situation (I mean, aside from the fact that Sheena is in idyllic new hampshire, of course): I feel like I've moved back into the dorms. Partly because I'm now living down the hall from Josh again, partly because I've moved into an apartment with three other people, and partly because Josh and Sarah are IN school. All weekend long I had a niggling feeling in the back of my mind that I had reading to do, or a paper to write. It was very weird.

The only thing missing from my college fantasy life is ACDC or similar. Because, as I've told Sheena when she complains about my eating habits: it's just not fun to cook for yourself. I'd prefer to snack all night long. Maybe when we get our new fridge I'll actually make real food?

Also, Sheena - if the hummus has olives IN it, does that count as TWO food groups??

5 comments:

J said...

It does feel like being in college, except I eat dinner at my desk rather than in a large room surrounded by my friends...

Chumus with olives in actually like seven food groups-there are other things in chumus, ya know, like bits of pita you dropped.

Sheena said...

Why, I haven't seen you since the diworce...


Oh, children. Hummus is not a substitute for meals. Nay. It is a spread or condiment.

I continue to be amazed that you're not sick of it yet, Claire. And while I do agree that cooking for one isn't really that fun, you can definitely do minimal cooking, stave off scurvy, and eat well all at the same time. Put that hummus on a roasted veggie sandwich, for instance. And roasting things is fun. Under the broiler or over the bare flame on the range...

I feel a little like I'm on break from college. Except I have more debt and less to look forward to in the next few months.

tobs said...

roasted vegetables are gross. useless. the kind of shit delis and lousy lunch restaurants roll out to fill up space. squash and shit. all filler vegetables. cocoa-rageous is really more where it's at.

Caro said...

Hey lady!

Thanks for checking up on my city while I am hanging out in yours this weekend.

Don't make plans for Halloween weekend though! Katy is having a party and I am going to make a hat that looks like an upside-down flower for the occasion!

xo
-C.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

cooking for yourself can be fun and educational! just keep it to 5 or fewer ingredients. nothing's easier than roasting a pepper. except ordering in.

... ice cream here is cheap. i got a scoop for $1.50 today. that's like US$0.90. how rad is that? you could add roasted pepper hommous to that and you'd have a completely well rounded meal: vegetables, lemon juice, fat, waffle cone, and cow--the four food groups.