Thursday, May 11, 2006

bottle openers generally take the cork out of the bottle

Last night we had a lovely dinner with Josh, Seth, and Andy. Sheena made an awesome Burmudian Rum Cake - seriously the best rum cake I've had since I was in the Cayman Islands, and I made a nice stir fry. Since I got the recipe from Cook's Illustrated, it was also the most labor-intensive stir fry I've ever made. Seriously. And it tasted pretty damned good, if I do say so myself.

Oh, and when I was opening the bottle of wine that Josh brought (which was a delightful Burgundy from 2003) with my newly (garage sale) acquired awesome wine opener, it pushed the cork INTO the bottle and splurted wine all over the place. It was awesome. Andy, with the agility of a cat, avoided getting covered. I, on the other hand, got a wine facial. I think it's an exfoliant. The wine was salvaged, never fear. I'm giving the bottle opener another chance.

TONIGHT we venture into the heart of darkness to see wakefield pitch against chacon. This game is my birthday present for sheena. when i thought of it, about a month ago, i was determined to keep it a secret. so i emailed sheena to tell her to save the date. that there was a surprise. and then i just couldn't keep it in any more. here's an example of how i can't keep a secret:

me
: ok
are you there?
12:45 PM ARE YOU THERE????
---------------------------------------5 minutes
12:50 PM
Sheena: yes I am there
um, here
me: ok.
ok.
you have to save a date.
i am very excited.
Sheena: what?
me: it is a surprise.
you cannot make any plans for Thursday, May 11.
from 7:05 on.
because........
Sheena: hmmm
me: we will be celebrating your birthday
AT YANKEE STADIUM WITH THE REDSOX!!!!!!
Sheena: oh my god!

I mean, I HAVE kept secrets in the past. But it's way hard.

3 comments:

Sheena said...

Shortest (and Best). Surprise. Ever.

Though you were due, after keeping the secret of the KitchenAid and the surprise party in previous years, I imagine your head would have exploded otherwise.

Sheena said...

That was the worst paragraph I've ever written. Forgive me. Misuse of comma. Nonsensical run-on.

Ugh. Clearly I've been focusing too much of my brainpower on praying against rain.

tobs said...

i'd like to posit that sheena surely would have pieced it together. after all, what else starts at 7:05? and certainly sheena would have that date marked on her calendar, right? or tatooed on her butt?